Is SEO Dead. Oh man, the SEO landscape has changed so dramatically over the last couple of years so I can see why we might think that SEO is dead. When ever I create a holistic digital marketing strategy, the aim is to generate equal traffic from SEO & PPC and really get into that cost versus effort balance with the rest of the DM channels, but to me SEO is so worth the investment in time as it’s often the main source of traffic or the traffic source with the best conversion rate… It’s like the gift that keeps on giving if you get it right.
Local SEO aside, as it’s a whole other blog post, SEO isn’t dead despite all the Google updates. What is great, is that many of the old principles still apply like get your unique page content aligned to your title, meta description and alt tags, nurture some inbound links where you can, pop in the odd bold key phrase in there… All backed up of course with an SEO Friendly site that is fast and mobile friendly and if you have really gone for it AMP pages (AMP pages, also another whole blog post).
Obviously you can’t just stop with the fundamentals and think that’s it we are done, the competition will have done this so it’s time to find the edge with some advanced SEO. If you search for Advanced SEO you get a MOZ page listed with some very good resources – https://moz.com/blog/category/advanced-seo Check it out.
Here is my list of topics / techniques / actions to explore to collectively make an impact.
- Site speed – Get it sorted! – https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
- SERPS CTR Optimisation – Focus on meta description and make the copy in there inspiring to your audience
- HTTPS – Getting an SSL cert is a must
- Schema.org – Structured data and micro data et al (Also check your Google Search Console and utilise Data Highlighter)
- Google XML sitemap – Tip, don’t use an automated tool in your CMS for this – Create and edit out unwanted page references using something like – https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/
- Reviews – Review sites like TrustPilot allow for rich snippets that will enhance your SERPS with star ratings when you embed a trustbox
- User Experience – Google wants to list pages that users love, so great content that’s easy to follow will show improve engagement metrics
- Keyword Density – Don’t get spammy
- Updated Content – Freshening up and expending content
What really keeps SEO alive is the future, at the moment mobile search is the promised land, if you have that covered then hats off, but I think the future (TBH it’s now) will be driven by what people shout at their google home or alexa personal assistant type devices……
I thought this post by Neil Patel was awesome, some good insights on the state of SEO right now – https://neilpatel.com/blog/state-of-seo/
Keep on doing the SEO people..!#$ Carry on the debate on twitter #IsSEODead